The attorneys at Law Offices of Shana E. Thompson are experienced in handling a variety of different types of divorce cases including:

  • uncontested divorce;
  • contested divorce;
  • military divorce;
  • high income divorce; or
  • high asset divorce.

We can represent our clients at all stages of the case from the pre-filing preparations, filing the petition, litigating the temporary issues during a hearing, at mediation, or during the final trial before the judge.

Back to top

Attorneys for a Divorce Cases in Seattle, WA

Our attorneys help clients during every step of the divorce process in King County, WA. We work with our clients to resolve all of their issues including the equitable division of community property, alimony / maintenance, child support and a parenting plan that protects the best interest of the children.

We represent clients throughout Seattle and Kent in King County and the surrounding counties of Snohomish County and Pierce County. Call us at (206) 712-2756 to discuss your case during an office consultation.

Back to top

Contested vs. Uncontested Divorce

In some cases, especially when the issues are not exceeding complex, an uncontested divorce can occur when the parties agree to all of the issues in the divorce. In some instances, a specific petition listing the division of assets and debt, the proposal for maintenance, child support and the parenting plan are filed. One spouse may then sign a “joinder” attached to the petition for dissolution to indicate his/her agreement. The parties may file a generic petition in order to work out all of these issues after the divorce is filed. In that case, the non-moving party may sign an Acceptance of Service to indicate that they have notice the case is pending and start the 90-day waiting period.

After a 90-day waiting period that begins with the filing of the uncontested divorce, the court is permitted to finalize the divorce. The court will enter a divorce decree that matches your petition for dissolution or the agreement on all issues reached following the filing and service of the petition.

If you and your spouse are unable to agree on all the terms, that is considered a contested divorce. After the divorce petition is filed and served on your spouse, your spouse has 30 days to file a Response to the Petition for Dissolution. In a contested divorce case, an experienced attorney can help facilitate the other side negotiating in good faith with a level of civility.

Before trial, the parties will have opportunities to settle their issues either informally with the help of their attorneys or through Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) resources such as mediation or arbitration. For example, mediation is often a good way to resolve a contested divorce case because by that time the parties have enough information, have looked at all parts of the case, and know what needs to be done.

The end game in any of these cases where an agreement cannot eventually be reached is a trial in front of the judge. By preparing the case for trial, your attorney can help you communicate to the other side that you will not settle on certain issues. The best way to resolve the case is sometimes to make sure it is fully prepared for trial. If your case goes to trial, you want to make sure that your attorney is thoroughly prepared.

Back to top