Family Law Attorneys in Snohomish County

In family law cases in Snohomish County, the court is asked to adjudicate or enforce the rights of the parents or their children regarding the determination or modification of child custody, visitation, parenting plan, child support or spousal maintenance, or the temporary distribution of property or obligations.

The family law attorneys at Law Offices of Shana E. Thompson are experienced in help clients in a wide variety of family law proceedings in Snohomish County. We represent clients in Everett, WA, and the nearby cities of Arlington, Bothell, Brier, Edmonds, Gold Bar, Granite Falls, Lake Stevens, Lynnwood, Marysville, Mill Creek, Monroe, Mountlake Terrace, Mukilteo, Snohomish, Stanwood, Sultan, and Woodway.

Call us to find out more about the impact of automatic temporary orders issued in family law cases in Snohomish County.

Types of Family Law Cases in Snohomish County, WA

The attorneys at Law Offices of Shana E. Thompson represent clients in a wide range of family law cases in Snohomish County including;

  • Dissolution / Divorce;
  • Legal Separation;
  • Invalidity;
  • Committed Intimate Relationship; or
  • State Registered Domestic Partnership Actions.

Family law proceedings in the County of Snohomish include actions seeking any of the following:

  • Parentage or Paternity
  • Declaration of Invalidity

Our Snohomish County family law attorneys also reprsent clients in actions brought by parties to committed intimate relationships, state registered domestic partnerships and actions involving parenting or the distribution of assets / liabilities.

Custody, Parenting, or Visitation Modifications Actions in Snohomish County, WA

The attorneys at Law Offices of Shana E. Thompson help mothers and fathers file a motion to modify custody, a parenting plan, visitation, or support. We can also help you obtain temporary relief while the case proceeds through the system by filing a by motion or show cause order that requests temporary relief or a threshold hearing based on affidavits. 

In contested matters involving modification of support or maintenance, we can help you during the arbitration process or at trial if a resolution between the parties cannot be reached. 

Automatic Temporary Orders in Family Law Cases in Everett, WA

In these cases in the family law courtrooms in Everett, WA, the court will, on its own motion, automatically issue a Temporary Order that includes the following provisions:

  • The parties shall be restrained from transferring, removing, encumbering, concealing, damaging, or in any way disposing of any property except in the usual course of business or for the necessities of life or as agreed in writing by the parties. Each party shall notify the other party of any extraordinary expenditure made after the order is issued.
  • The parties shall be restrained from assigning, transferring, borrowing, lapsing, surrendering, or changing entitlement of any insurance policies of either or both parties, or of any dependent children whether medical, health, life, or auto insurance, except as agreed in writing by the parties.
  • Each party shall be immediately responsible for his or her own future debts whether incurred by credit card, loan, security interest, or mortgage, except as agreed in writing by the parties.
  • Both parties shall have access to all tax, financial, legal, and household records. Reasonable access to records shall not be denied. This provision does not apply to documents protected by the attorney-client or attorney work product privilege.

When the family law action involves children, the court in Snohomish County also enter an Automatic Temporary Order that provides: 

  • Each parent shall be restrained from changing the residence of the child(ren) until further court order, except as agreed in writing by the parties. Subsequent orders regarding parenting issues supersede previously issued orders to the extent that the orders may be inconsistent.
  • Each parent shall have full access to the child(ren)’s educational and medical records, unless otherwise limited by court order.
  • Each parent shall ensure that the child(ren) not be exposed to negative comments about the other parent. Neither parent shall make negative comments about the other parent in the presence of the child(ren).

For purposes of the automatic temporary order, the term “parent” is limited only to those persons listed on a valid birth certificate or a presumed father under RCW 26.26.116.

Alternative Dispute Resolution in Snohomish County Cases

In many types of family law cases, the court will require alternative dispute resolution. For example, all contested issues must be submitted to settlement conference, mediation, or other ADR process with a neutral third party who offers ADR services in the following types of cases:

  • petitions filed under RCW 26.09 --Legal Separation;
  • petitions filed under RCW 26.10 --Non-parental Actions for Child Custody;
  • petitions filed under RCW 26.26 --Uniform Parentage Act;
  • committed intimate relationship cases;
  • petitions for modifications of final orders exclusive of Child Support/Maintenance Modification actions, which are in mandatory arbitration.

ADR shall NOT be required in the following cases heard in Snohomish County:

  • For good cause shown upon motion and approval by the court.
  • Where a domestic violence restraining order or protection order (excluding Ex-Parte orders) involving the parties has been entered by a court at any time within the previous twelve (12) months.
  • Where a domestic violence no contact order exists pursuant to RCW 10.99;
  • Where the court upon motion finds that domestic abuse has occurred between the parties and that such abuse would interfere with arm’s-length mediation.

When required, the parties must complete ADR prior to trial confirmation. Either party may by motion request an order requiring mediation sooner upon good cause shown.

Additional Resources

Local Rules for Family Law Proceedings in Snohomish County - The Snohomish Court Superior Court recently changed the local rules for family law proceedings effective on September 1, 2017. Find the amended and new local rules for SCLSPR 94.04 Family Law Proceedings.

Parenting Seminars in Snohomish County - For all cases for parents with children under the age of 18 years old involving a parenting plan or a residential plan filed under Ch. 26.09, 26.10 or Ch. 26.26 of the RCW of the RCW including dissolutions, legal separations, major modifications and paternity actions (in which paternity has been established). In these cases, the parents must participate in, and successfully complete, an approved parenting seminar within 60 days after service of a petition, or an initiating motion, on the responding party. After completing the seminar, the parties must file a certificate of attendance/completion with the court.

Finding a Family Law Attorney in Everett, WA

Our attorneys for Everett, WA, in Snohomish County, represent clients in dissolutions, legal separations, major modifications and paternity actions both before and after paternity has been established. Our attorneys can help you develop a proposed where a parenting plan or residential plan.

We help our client resolve their case by confirming the case for trial, presenting any final order affecting the parenting/residential plan, and seeking affirmative relief in these proceedings.

In Snohomish County, our family law attorneys represent clients in Everett, WA, and the nearby cities of Monroe, Lynnwood, Woodway, Sultan, Stanwood, Snohomish, Mukilteo, Mountlake Terrace, Mill Creek, Marysville, Lake Stevens, Granite Falls, Gold Bar, Edmonds, Bothell, Brier, and Arlington. Our family law attorneys also represent clients in the bordering counties of King County and Pierce County.

Call (206) 712-2756 today to schedule a consultation.

This article was last updated on Thursday, October 26, 2017.

Submit the form below and a lawyer will contact you.
* All fields are required.
About The Shana Thompson Law Firm
Law Offices of Shana E. Thompson MORE ABOUT OUR FIRM Law Offices of Shana E. Thompson
What Our Clients Have To Say